Viewing the 1769 King James Version. Click to switch to 1611 King James Version of Ecclesiastes 12:5
Also when they shall be afraid of that which is high, and fears shall be in the way, and the almond tree shall flourish, and the grasshopper shall be a burden, and desire shall fail: because man goeth to his long home, and the mourners go about the streets:
List of road accidents records serious road accidents: those that have a large death toll, occurred in unusual circumstances, or have some other historical significance. For crashes that killed famous people, refer to List of people who died in road accidents. The prevalence of bus accidents in this list is a function of severity rather than of frequency.
- 1771 France – Nicolas-Joseph Cugnot's second steam-powered vehicle is said to have crashed into a wall during a test run, in what would have been the first automobile accident. However, it is disputed that this ever happened. According to Georges Ageon the earliest mention of this occurrence dates from 1801 and it does not feature in contemporary accounts.
- August 31, 1869 UK (Ireland)– While riding as a passenger with relatives in an experimental steam car, Mary Ward was thrown from the car and fell under the wheels as it rounded a bend. This is believed the first recorded automobile death. The car was built by her cousins, the sons of William Parsons, 3rd Earl of Rosse.
- 17 August 1896 UK – Bridget Driscoll is the first person to die in a petrol-engined car accident, and the first pedestrian victim of an automobile accident in the United Kingdom. As she crossed the grounds of the Crystal Palace in London, she was struck by an automobile belonging to theAnglo-French Motor Carriage Company that was being used to give demonstration rides.
- 25 February 1899 UK – Edwin Sewell and Major Richer are thrown from their vehicle on Harrow on the Hill, Middlesex, London, and killed. Sewell's death is the first fatality of a driver recorded.
- 13 September 1899 – Henry H. Bliss is the firs
- t person killed by a car in the United States.
- August 29 Belgium – Queen Astrid of Belgium is killed in a car accident in Küssnacht am Rigi, near Lake Lucerne, Schwyz, Switzerland.
- October UK – A Royal Air Force bus crashes into a lorry and catches fire near Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, killing 9 airmen and injuring 13.
- June UK – A British Army lorry crashes into a house at Burley in Wharfedale, Yorkshire, killing 19 soldiers.
- October UK – A United States Army bus collides with a lorry near Marlborough, Wiltshire, killing 10 soldiers and injuring 21.
- January UK – A bus skids into a bus queue at Bargeddie, near Glasgow, Scotland, killing 8 people and injuring 12.